Most of us heard about IAS i.e. Indian Administrative Services and IPS i.e. Indian Police Service. As an IAS officer, one can get the post of DM (District Magistrate) and as an IPS officer, one can get the post of SP (Superintendent of Police) in the district. The recruitment for both IAS and IPS is done through UPSC that have three levels i.e. Prelims, Mains and Interview.
Many people may wonder who is more powerful IAS (DM) or IPS (SP). To know this, let’s first discuss the difference between IAS and IPS.Get Amazon's Deal Of The Day
An IAS officer is responsible for implementing various Government policies while an IPS officer is responsible for maintaining law and order in society.
The initial three months training of both IAS and IPS is done at Mussoorie in Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration. After three months, all IPS officers are sent to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy at Hyderabad for further training.
3. Cadre controlling authority
The cadre controlling authority for IAS is The Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions whereas for IPS the cadre controlling authority is the Ministry of Home Affairs and Government of India.Get Best Earphones For You Here
An IAS officer can work in any government department while an IPS officer can work in the Police department.
The salary of an IAS officer is higher as compared to an IPS officer. After the 7th pay commission, the salary of an IAS is around ₹56100-₹2.50Lakh, with other facilities while the salary of an IPS is ₹56100-₹2.25Lakh.
There can be only one DM in a District whereas there can be more than one IPS in the district.
The Rank of IAS is highest in the district. An IAS officer as DM is the First officer in the district while an IPS as SP is second.Get Amazing Jewelry Here
So, who is more powerful IAS or IPS; DM or SP and Why?
The answer is IAS, because of following reasons:
· The highest rank police officer of the state i.e. DGP who is an IPS officer has to report the Home Secretary who is an IAS officer who can be the junior. But both work in coordination with each other.
· The heads of CBI, CRPF, BSF, etc, report to IAS Secretary who can be the junior.
· IAS officers get promotions very fast as compared to IPS officers.
· In a district, SP gives the charge of the entire police force under his jurisdiction reports to the DM.
· In many states, the performance report of SP is written by the DM who can be several batches junior to him.
But this doesn’t mean that IPS officers have no powers. If there is any case filed against an IAS officer then the IPS officers of high rank like DG of IB, BSF, ITBP and CBI Director can investigate these cases and can also arrest them, if found guilty.
In conclusion, we can say that IAS i.e. DM is more powerful than IPS i.e. SP but they work in coordination with each other for the country's development.