Every mother wish that nothing should harm her child and her child must enjoy a sound health. But, as winters are approaching and many new Moms are worried about how to take care of their babies in their first winters because in winters, babies are prone to come in contact with the virus and may get ill easily. So, each mother tries her best to the safe her child from winters and always searches for the various ways through which they can protect their child from any kind of disease.
Since babies have a sensitive skin, therefore, it needs special care in the winters because in the winters, the skin of babies may become very dry and due to dryness rashes, allergy may occur or the baby may feel itching. In winters, most babies are covered with many clothes and sometimes they are uncomfortable in this and the worst part is they even can’t tell anything that they are feeling. So, it is the responsibility of every parent that they should take care of their baby’s skin properly so that their skin remains smooth and they don’t suffer from any problem.
Three important things come under baby skincare i.e. Massage, Bath, and Moisturizing. So, let’s discuss them one by one.
1. Things To Take Care Of While Massage
Many people suggest that don’t massage the baby daily, but we don’t think so because with massage, blood circulation becomes good and due to good blood circulation, the body can recover itself from any cough, cold or pain. That’s why, doing massage daily is very important. So, this is the misconception that don’t massage daily. But here important is when to massage.
· You can do massage only in the light warm room. The right temperature of the room for massage should be 28°C to 32°C in winters. If your room is very cold or you live in a cold place, then it is not recommended to massage your baby daily. In winters, the massage of a baby is possible only when you do it in a warm room. You can also massage your baby in the presence of sunlight.
· If there is no heater in your home or you can’t maintain a good room temperature i.e. it is not getting warm or there is no sunlight, then, in this case, one thing you can do this, in your bathroom, open warm water either in shower or in tap for 10-15 minutes, this will create right temperature for massage. Close the tap or shower, take your baby to the bathroom and massage your baby for 10-15 minutes and after that give him/her a bath and get your baby ready. Due to this, all your activities can be accomplished at the same warm temperature and your baby would feel fresh.
· Don’t massage your baby for more than 10-15 minutes in winters. Do it as quickly as possible.
· In winters, use almond oil for massage as almond oil is very beneficial for skin, face, hair and for other body parts. It gives a natural glow to the body.
Tip: - Apply almond oil or mustard oil around your baby’s navel as this helps in reducing the dryness of the baby’s body.
2. Things To Take Care Of Giving Bath
Again, there is another misconception that in winters, it is not necessary to give bath to baby daily but why not? Because after taking bath everyone feels fresh, even adults take bath regularly so that they can feel fresh but why don’t in the case of these small babies?
So, give a bath to your baby regularly so that the pores of their body will get open which were closed due to sweating of extra clothes that we put on them and after taking bath, they even feel fresh.
But some precautions should be taken care of while giving a bath to your baby.
· Bathing time should not be more than 5-10 minutes in winters. It will be good to keep your baby in water for a limited time only. Five minute's duration is a very good time for a baby’s bath in winters.
· Use lukewarm water for bathing. If you give a bath to your baby in hot water, then he/she may get ill when he/she comes in the contact with cold atmosphere. So, use lukewarm water.
· Test the temperature of water by touching it with your elbow or wrist and ensure that it is lukewarm water.
· Get things like clothes, moisturizes, diaper, etc, ready before giving a bath to the baby so that after giving the bath without wasting any time dress up your baby quickly. So, don’t waste time after bathing and keep things ready. It will be good if your bathroom is large and you dress up your baby inside the bathroom.
· In case, if you live in a cold area or there is very cold and it is not possible to give your baby a regular bath then at least give sponge your baby. For the sponge, dip the towel in lukewarm water and sponge the whole body of your baby with that towel and change his/her clothes daily. It is very important because we pack babies with many clothes and due to change in weather their body may get heat up due to which they sweat and feel uncomfortable and sometimes, we don’t even get to know about this.
· So, either give bath to your baby daily or sponge your baby especially the body parts where there are high chances of sweating i.e. behind neck, underarms, inside knees or diaper area daily. So, clean these body parts of your baby daily and apply them to moisturize by applying the cream.
3. How moisturize the baby’s skin?
Moisturizing is very important for skincare in winters because, in winters, the body loses a lot of moisture under the influence of cold air and also babies don’t drink water especially less than sixth month babies due of which body dehydrates quickly and skin losses the moisture. That’s why it is necessary to moisturize the baby’s skin at regular intervals.
· Don’t apply moisturizer to the baby only one time in a day in winters. Apply moisturizer to the baby at least 3-4 times daily especially at night before going to sleep because at night baby’s body comes in the contact of cold air and loses the moisture. So, moisturize your baby for 3-4 times daily.
· Don’t apply moisturizer to the dry skin. The skin should be slightly wet. For instance, when your baby will take a bath then within 1-3 minutes apply moisturizer to your baby. Don’t rub the moisturizer and just apply it on slightly wet skin gently, due to which moisturizer will penetrate in the body very nicely.
· But during the day, when you are not taking bath, take a towel and dip it in lukewarm water and clean the body parts where you want to apply the moisturizer like face, hands, legs, etc and after that apply the moisturizer.
· Lips of the baby often get dry and the worst part is if you apply any product on lips, the baby may suck it inside. So, the best moisturizer for the baby’s lips is mother’s milk and it will not even harm the baby. So, apply the mother’s milk on the baby’s lips.
Subscribe to Your Knowledge Factory - General Knowledge, News and Current Affairs | Knowledgeable Facts
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox